I chose this recipe for Vegan Tuesday because I had all the ingredients. I won’t say it was quick (I’m a super slow prep cook), but it was definitely easy. The recipe comes from Vegan with a Vengeance and you can find the recipe HERE.
Because my zucchini were on the smaller side–not the monster zucchini you can get in the summer–I have a some filling left over. I think it would be great on a baked potato or over pasta. It’s very delicious!
I also made vegan Chai Rice Pudding using a recipe from the March/April 2009 issue of VegNews. I rushed and made it before work. Well, really, you can’t rush rice pudding. What I meant to write was that I made it for work and then had to rush to work because I was running late. I took a picture using my Blackberry because I didn’t have time to grab my camera.
The recipe uses plain almond milk and basmati rice. It is sweetened with agave syrup and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, and ginger. Chopped dates and raisins add some more sweetness. YUM!
Chai Rice Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 /2 cup agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a medium pot, bring water and 2 cups almond milk to a boil. Add rice, agave nectar, and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining almond milk, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and ginger. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until rice is very soft.
- Remove from heat, add dates and raisins, cover, and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Dust with additional cinnamon and cardamon and serve warm or at room temperature.