I made a Potato and Baby Spinach Masala from the current issue of Vegetarian Times. The suggestion was to serve it over rice. I thought that was a little bit too much starch (especially this time of year!), so I served it over more spinach. I think it would have been great over chickpeas or lentils.
Potato and Spinach Masala
From Vegetarian Times
- 1 lb baby dutch yellow potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 13.5 ounce can light coconut milk
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Steam potatoes in steamer basket for 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 8 minutes or until onions are soft and golden. Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeño, and sauté for another minute or until fragnant. Stir in coriander, cumin, and tumeric. Add in steamed potatoes and sauté for a minute or two to coat potatoes with spices. Add coconut milk and 1/4 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in spinach, garam masala, and 1/4 cup of water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lime and cilantro.
I also made the Banana-Wheat Germ Muffins from Veganomicon. Very delicious and moist. Not only is there wheat germ, but they are also made with whole-wheat pastry flour. I added chocolate chips.
Banana Wheat Germ Muffins recipe HERE.